Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mung Bean Pancakes

I did it. I made mung bean pancakes. I felt it was my obligation and duty after all the hype about them early on. Not to mention the fact that my mother called me all giddy one day with a "neener neener" kind of tone to say she knew what they were and where to buy them. I just couldn't let her down.

The shelless mung beans, or "Moong Dal" as they are actually called, were found in the Indian section of Jungle Jim's Market where you can find anything under the sun. I once purchased Ostrich steaks there. They also sell some of the craziest nastiest stuff that you could just never imagine someone would eat. Like chicken beaks and the like. They only thing was, there was just one size of Moong Dal for sale and it was the value pack. Large bag. I'm hoping this recipe is good.

Mung bean pancakes contain not only mung beans, but eggs, scallions, shredded carrot, garlic, and some red pepper flakes. You puree the pre-soaked mung beans in a processer for a bit, and don't you know it gets actually FLUFFY like a batter? Who would have thought? BEANS! FLUFFY! Anyhow, mix everything else together and cook on a griddle. As recommended, I also made some soy sesame dipping sauce.

I was home alone last night and didn't want this to be a solo experience. I needed a witness. Who in the world would be believe me if they turned out to be delicious? I called Miriam, who is the only other member of the "Veggie for a Month" club and she actually sounded excited to try them. She came right down and we did the honors simulataneoulsy.

The good news is, I now know for a fact what a good faker Miriam is. I almost believed that she liked them but since I was there to experience it first had, I knew they weren't all that tasty. She went on and on about how they were good and she liked the sauce but curiously, she didn't clean her plate. Something about having had rice before she came over or whatever. It's OK, Miriam. Seriously. I wasn't expecting them to taste GREAT but I was hopeful that they'd be.... I don't really know what I thought. These are mung beans after all. And they were fluffy.

Today was officially supposed to be the last day of my veggie month. But not only do I need to keep my diet as is until after the marathon on Saturday, but I'm actually enjoying it! There are still so many recipes I haven't had the chance to try yet (I'm preparing Tofu Cacciatore tonight). Also, I've got this big bag of mung beans that I'd like to use up. A friend of mine told me there is such a thing as "mung bean popsicles" but I'm going to totally pass on that one. He said they were delicious - I think he and Miriam would get along great.

2 comments:

  1. Well, they DID have eggs and carrots. Maybe if you threw in a little Adirondack cheese??

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are braver than I would be...I wouldn't have lasted this long for sure...some of the dishes you have prepared wouldn't get past my lips LOLOL...good luck....hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete