Friday, March 1, 2013

And just like that ... BAM!! (meatless)

Suddenly, I am on the eve of another meatless March.  I say "suddenly" because this was, indeed, a sudden turn of events.  But in some very, very good ways.  For starters, my dear Prince of a husband has finally  decided to dip his toes in the vegetarian waters, albeit just briefly.  He's not ready for a full month of meatless, but he committed to a full week of meatless which brings joy to both me and my sweet vegan brother, Chip.  It brings me joy because that is one week where I can relax a bit about the meatless menu - possibly even elicting some help in the kitchen - and also I can act like some kind of an expert on the subject of meatless meals.  I promise to keep my ego in check.  It brings my brother joy because this was my husband's Christmas gift to him, which he later told me he was really not expecting.  Quite frankly, neither was I.  Accompanying this gift of a Meatless Week was Jeff's promise that he and I would spend at least part of that week visiting Chip in New York, where delicious vegetarian meals are almost as easy to find as pigeons.

In mid-December, I applied for a new job at Macy's corporate offices downtown and began interviewing for the position in January.  Just over two months and eleven interviews later, I was offered the job (YEAH!!!!) on February 25th.  In a curious twist of fate, my boss is actually located in NYC and even more curiously, my husband has a business trip planned to that exact area at the end of March - also involving Macy's.  So, to make a long story short, I will be visiting my brand new boss in NYC at the end of March while Jeff is on his business trip, providing the perfect opportunity to fulfill his Christmas pledge.  But all of a sudden, just like that, BAM!  I'm staring down the barrel of Meatless March with nothing to eat in my refrigerator that is meatless besides sour cream, yogurt, blueberry jam, celery, limes, and butter.  Well, there is also cheese.  There is ALWAYS cheese.

Upon realizing my utter unpreparedness, I made a quick trip to Whole Foods to stock up on that delicious "Vegan General Tso's Chicken" (which tastes absolutely nothing like General Tso's Chicken but is finger-licking good just the same) and some Boca Crumbles.  That's two meals down, a bunch more to go.  As long as I don't suck all that General Tso's Chicken down between now and tomorrow - that stuff is delicious and I've already stuck my fingers in the container more than once tonight.  At least I know where I can always get more.

No comments:

Post a Comment