Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Paying penance

I have to confess an accidental meat incident. About two weeks ago, I was with my new small group and we had each brought an appetizer to share. One of the appetizers was a cheeseball which was clearly, plainly, covered all over with chipped beef. Whether it was the way it presented (i.e. "I brought a cheeseball" instead of "I brought a cheeseball covered with meat") or my own lack of attention, I did not even notice the meat until I went back a second time. My less-than-supportive neighbor said things like "that doesn't count as real meat" and "We won't tell. Eat what you want." But this same neighbor could be fairly categorized as a food pusher so I withstood his taunting and did not have any more.

It was an honest mistake, and really just a tiny amount of meat was consumed, but I feel compelled to make up for it. So, during my upcoming trip to New York this weekend, I'm going with my brother and his girlfriend to a wonderful restaurant in Manhattan where I will have an entire meal that is not only meat free, but fully vegan. I really can't wait! The last time I was in New York, my brother took me to a vegan bakery where I had one of the best pieces of cake I've ever had in my life. How in the world can they make such a delicious cake without eggs? Or milk? Or butter? I don't know but it was heavenly. I know better than to even ATTEMPT such a feat, given my miserable failures with non-meatloaf.

Speaking of milk and eggs, a thought occurred to me more than once during the past month. I agreed to give up meat, not go the whole vegan route. But what I really don't understand is how a full-on vegetarian can justify eating eggs. Even those from free-range chickens. Is it the whole "it's not a chicken until it is born" argument that many pro-choice advocates use? If so, I can respect that position (although I disagree with it). Is it related to the fact that egg yolks do not have flesh? I suppose I can understand that as well. But actually, it seems a bit hypocritical. Don't eat meat, but eat their unborn. And this is coming from a carnivore. But I digress....

So, my second meatless month of 2011 is behind me, and I look forward to many delicious meatless meals in New York this weekend. I am eager to discover how much easier it is to be vegetarian in New York City than it is in the mid-west. Because even though I have completed my mission, I still love my brother immensely and I'll be on his turf and under his tutelage. Plus, I have penance to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment