Thursday, August 2, 2012

Michelle Goes Vegan (temporarily)

Today is August 1, 2012, marking the first day of Vegetarian Month 2012.  I'm super excited about this year's endeavor because my mostly-vegetarian friend Michelle is going to REALLY take the challenge with me.  She has always been supportive and enthusiastic about my annual meatless month but when says "I'll do it with you," I have found it to be somewhat disingenuous and lacking in elements of authentic sacrifice.  I mean, really.  She only eats meat a few times a month anyhow so how much does it inconvenience her?  A few times a month worth.  On the other hand, I go through a complete upheaval, a purging of my refrigerator, a re-education if you will.  It's definitely a challenge, but one I face gladly because it brings my brother joy.

During my meatless month each year, without exception, I find myself at some point frustrated.  At some point, I will think there is nothing at all tasty in the entire world that is meatless.  There will be a moment that I am confronted by BBQ ribs, my mouth will begin to water, and I'll really hate this meatless month idea.  I will crave a hot dog - and I never eat hot dogs.  I will forget about my pledge momentarily and make mistakes like suggesting we have steak for dinner or accidentally putting a piece of beef jerky in my mouth (before spitting it out ceremoniously)  There will be many days that I have to settle for something less than satisfying because there are no vegetarian options on the menu.  There will be meatless experiments gone awry and disappointing culinary experiences.  And I can promise you that I will change my mind no less than a dozen times while imagining the meaty meal I will consume on September 1st (but I will not text my brother a photo of my cheeseburger like I did last year).  In addition, I have a STAUNCHLY carnivorous husband who, while supportive of my endeavors, ate a Chick-Fil-A sandwich right in front of me today.  I love Chick-Fil-A sandwiches. This is what I endure one month a year and it is entirely dissimilar to Michelle's experience.

So, while Michelle and I were both riding a 20-mile endorphin wave, I talked to her about the challenges of not knowing what to prepare and how to prepare it.  We talked about finding all new recipes and discovering all new flavors.  We talked about the onset of the inevitable frustration and the benefits of having someone to lean on during those times. I must have made all of that sound really good because when I said "If you want to do it with me, you have to go fully VEGAN for the month" she said "Ok."  Listen to me right here:  Never agree to ANYTHING during a 20-mile training run.  Endorphins will make you do crazy things.  Take a shower, take a nap, and think it over first.  But Michelle didn't do that so today is the first day of Michelle's Vegan Month 2012.






No comments:

Post a Comment