Sunday, August 5, 2012

Vegetables: Key to Being a Successful Vegetarian

Something occurs to me.  It would be easier to be a vegetarian if I liked more vegetables.  As I glanced over the dinner menu at the restaurant where I was dining the other night, I categorically rejected many of the options available to me, such as Roasted Beet Salad, Fire Roasted Artichoke, and Asparagus Fries.  They did have a Housemade Veggie Burger (without beets, artichokes, or asparagus) so I was relieved, but I realized that if I was truly ever going to be a vegetarian for more than a month at a time, I'd need to bring my palate up to speed.  I have noticed that mushrooms seem to be a favorite of vegetarians - especially portobello. I think mushrooms are slimy and smell like feet.  Other vegetables I don't like include olives, radishes, Brussels sprouts, lima beans, and turnips. I'm not a huge fan of eggplant either, but I can fake it in a pinch.
 
While there are plenty of vegetables I love, I sense my satisfaction at mealtime will be greatly improved if I can mature my palate to that of a woman my (undisclosed) age. What am I going to do about it?  Well, looking over the list of black-listed veggies,  I can honestly say that there are none there I think I'll simply learn to like.  With the possible exception of  mushrooms.  Especially portobello (I've heard they are the "steak" of the vegetarian world).  But I really think it's important that I make an effort.

Here is a fun game.  Google "Brussels sprouts hater" and see how many recipes come up. Now see how many of these recipes claim to turn Brussels sprouts haters into Brussels sprouts lovers.  I think it's kind of funny, really.  I think if there were that many fantastic recipes out there for Brussels sprouts, there wouldn't BE any haters.  Yet one recipe stands out as a prime candidate for my next experiment because it contains Parmesan cheese which I happen to love. It also makes reference to bliss - which I also love.  And of course, it includes the requisite promise of conversion from hater to lover.  I have my doubts, but I'm willing to suspend them for the promise of "bliss."

A quick look at the ingredient list reminds me of why I tend to gain a few pounds during meatless month - the Parmesan cheese is accompanied by cream cheese and mayonnaise - but this actually comforts me as I imagine the pungent Brussels sprout flavor will be masked with creamy, cheesy, yum.  Heck, if I can try Mung Bean Pancakes, I think I can try Baked Parmesan Brussels Sprouts.  I just hope they are better than the Mung Bean Pancakes were.  So, Baked Parmesan Brussels Sprouts will be on the menu sometime this month.  If I like them, portobello mushrooms will be next.  My palate is growing up whether it wants to or not.








1 comment:

  1. I happen to love, or at least like, most vegetables. I like brussel sprouts cooked in olive oil with garlic powder sprinkled on, but DH does not enjoy them, but DD likes them so much she cooks them for herself all the time. She doesn't like lima beans, cooked carrots (she likes raw ones), or peas. She's a green leafy vegetable eater.

    I don't think the portabella mushrooms are as tasty as some people say they are. I'm not fooled into thinking they are meat. They are still a mushroom that you are kind of expensive.

    I'm the only one at my house who will eat radishes, and recently I looked up radish greens, and people have recipes for them. They also cook the radishes with the greens and say they are delicious. I plan on trying the radish greens soon.

    I only like one kind of olive, and it comes in a can from California. It Graber's olives. I have to order them online, but peeps who live in California can buy them at their local supermarket.

    ReplyDelete